In the beginning I imagined the course to be simple because of the first-look we got at it with paper prototyping, although I quickly learned that it was not that easy as it seemed – precisely in the second week, where I had to come up with sounds for my application and that turned out horrible, so I had to spend serious time to understand how to make sounds not sound that “bad”.
From there, the low and high fidelity prototyping process I really enjoyed, and although the requirements didn’t all make sense, I managed to feature every single one of them (more or less). The expert reviews turned out to be a great way to observe your design from another perspective, a criticising perspective, one that judges the application for what it is in relation to what you need.
Creating an A/B Test was hard tho, because most A/B Tests I had in mind I already found existing versions of them, so I decided to go with a popular one (positive colours vs. negative colours, i.e green vs red), hoping that as opposed to popular belief, I would prove that colours that represent “errors” or “mistakes” are not treated as such, but my result proved that they are, and people avoid them.
A/B Testing was entertaining in a way, as we all knew the fact that we’re supposed to be A/B tested and they were expecting a “catch”, so it didn’t really work out for everyone, and although I confirmed my hypothesis, I’m positive that the results would have been different in a different context. However, we got to learn how efficient and useful a simple A/B test can be, and how you can gather insights from it.
The final experience prototyping had us thinking of a creative way to integrate into the already existing Balansar concept, and although we had a few good ones, we ended up choosing one that featured the balancing stones because of the portability of it and because there can be many different outcomes in regards to the positioning of the stones. Our final product turned out pretty good, although we got stuck at certain points and we had to improvise: our wizard was running two tasks the same time – one for hiding the coins that the user was collecting, one for the score system.
Overall, I think this course taught me about the essential methods and types of prototyping and made me realise that prototyping is all about thinking outside of the box and experimenting with all possible options and concepts before you settle on a concept. That way you get to test out all your theories and confirm them (or not), which helps making your final product be much more refined.
I would definitely try out different things if I were to do this course again, such as A/B Testing for Scanning Patterns and playing with the eye-tracker or even coming up with an own topic for example. I think that it was a good way to learn about prototyping and the process behind prototyping and all the means and methods that can be used to do so.